Thursday, June 4, 2009

Lemony Lemons: Lemon Potatoes

I love lemons - the juice and the zest. I make a nice pie crust with lemon zest, delicious roasted broccoli with lemon juice, yummy lemony salad dressing, and the Thanksgiving turkey is stuffed with lemons (and oranges and herbs too). I think I get a little carried away with it though. My husband often comments that he'd like this or that better with a little less lemon. So, I scale it back the next time, and sure enough - it's just as good, sometimes even better. So, I guess the lesson learned is: a little lemon goes a long way.

If you don't already have a good zester, I recommend you get a microplane grater. I love mine! You'll really appreciate it and find that it's good for zesting and finely grating many things including citrus, ginger, even chocolate. Unfortunately, my son thinks mine is a toy sword, and I have to keep it way up on the top shelf to keep it away from him. I'd get him his own, but those little grating blades are pretty sharp.

One of my favorite lemony recipes is lemon potatoes, and yes, I get the comment, "This would be better with a little less lemon." I happen to like this one with all the lemon juice and zest called for. Of course, you can make it with as much or as little as you like.

Lemon Potatoes  PRINTABLE RECIPE

2 Lbs small, waxy red or white potatoes
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
garlic salt to taste (I like Lawry's Garlic Salt, Coarse Ground with Parsley)

1. Place potatoes in a pot with salted water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and gently boil until the potatoes are tender - about 20 minutes.

2. Drain potatoes and return to pot over the lowest heat setting. Add olive oil, lemon zest and juice, and garlic salt. Stir to coat potatoes and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to try this lemon potatoes recipe. It sounds easy & good. Too funny on Rowan thinking the microplane grater is a sword.

    ReplyDelete