Friday, June 5, 2009

Another Sandwich: Tuna & Artichokes

It’s been quite a week! In fact, I just got back from the chiropractor where I had some massage therapy and adjustments done to get rid of this horrible pain in my neck. Though there’s still something kind of nagging there, the pain is pretty much gone. Even so, I’m not really up for getting out the pots and pans or firing up the stove tonight. And I think I’ll have to get my husband to uncork the wine bottle. I wouldn’t want to tweak anything, you know, and start all over again with the neck pain. I guess I’m still in sandwich mode.

I love a nice basic tuna salad sandwich. Even better is a tuna melt with tomato. And even better than that is tuna with artichokes and olive puree. I can’t remember where this recipe came from. Maybe some Food Network show? (I love food TV by the way, but I’ll save that topic for another day.) Anyway, who knew canned tuna could be so great?

This isn’t quite as quick and easy as I’d like for the mood I’m in. I might end up with just the basic tuna sandwich tonight, or maybe just the wine, but here’s the recipe in case you’re a little more motivated than I this weekend.

Tuna & Artichokes on Ciabatta  PRINTABLE RECIPE

3/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp lemon zest (mmm… lemon!)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
12 oz canned tuna (2 small cans) – drained
12 oz jar marinated artichokes – drained & chopped
1 tsp fresh lemon juice (mmm… lemon!)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Ciabatta loaf (about 16 oz) or other Italian bread – cut into top & bottom halves
1 large tomato – diced

1. In a food processor, puree olives, oil, garlic, and lemon zest until smooth. Blend in mayonnaise. Set aside
2. In a bowl, toss together tuna, artichokes, lemon juice, and pepper.
3. Hollow out both the top and bottom halves of the bread. Spread olive puree over both cut sides.
4. Spoon tuna and artichoke mixture into the bottom half of the bread. Sprinkle with the tomatoes and top with the other half of the bread. Cut into 6 pieces and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment