Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Asian Noodle Salad

It you want a break from potato salad, coleslaw, and standard pasta salad at your next barbecue or pot luck, you might like this. I love the toasty flavor of sesame oil (I can smell it just by thinking about it), with soy, lime, garlic, and cilantro. You can leave out the peanuts if there are allergy issues, but it really isn’t quite as good. Try substituting sunflower seeds if you need to.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

12 to 15 oz chuka soba noodles
1-1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/3 cup rice vinegar
juice and grated zest of 1 lime
1/2 cup soy sauce (I prefer the “less sodium” type)
2 tsp Vietnamese chili garlic sauce (I use one from Huy Fong Foods)
2 Tbsp sugar
2 cloves garlic – minced
1 cup grated carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
3/4 cup coarsely chopped dry-roasted peanuts
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add noodles and boil as package directs (usually about 2 minutes). Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine oil, vinegar, lime juice and zest, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, sugar, and garlic. Stir until sugar dissolves. Mix in peanuts, carrots, and cilantro.
3. Cut through the noodles to make the lengths more manageable. Add to bowl with soy vinaigrette and toss. Chill for at least an hour and toss again before serving. If the noodles seem a little dry, add a little more soy sauce and vinegar.

1 comment:

  1. Jen from Portland, OregonJune 9, 2009 at 3:45 PM

    I posted this about a half hour ago and I'm just sitting here at my desk at work, and I swear, I can still smell sesame!

    ReplyDelete