Monday, July 20, 2009

Asparagus Apple Salad with Bleu Cheese Vinaigrette

Cheese is one of my favorite things to eat, and bleu cheese – well, in my opinion, it’s one of the very best things on earth. This recipe calls for only one ounce of it, so please, splurge on the good stuff. It’s really worth it.

I also love asparagus. It’s my favorite vegetable. So, when I saw this recipe I just knew it had to be good. The original recipe calls for Gala apples, which are sweet, crisp, and slightly tart – a good choice, I'm sure, but I went for lots of tart with Granny Smith.

For some reason, I think this salad would be great with a steak, but it’s Meatless Monday, and anyway, it’s plenty good all on its own.

Asparagus Apple Salad with Bleu Cheese Vinaigrette  PRINTABLE RECIPE

1/4 cup (1 oz) crumbled bleu cheese
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp water
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

2 cups of 2-inch asparagus pieces
4 cups torn butter lettuce
2 cups thinly sliced apples – granny smith, gala, or your choice

1. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.

2. Cook asparagus in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold running water, and drain again.

3. Combine the asparagus, lettuce, and apple slices in a large salad bowl. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss gently to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment