Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What to Eat

So, here's the deal... I'm having a hard time lately figuring out what to eat. My mom found out last year that she has a genetic gluten intolerance and, it seems, I inherited that same intolerance. Now, I'm thinking I may have dairy sensitivity too. I haven't, however, made myself eliminate that from my diet yet, to see what difference (if any) it makes.

To add to my confusion, I read (OK, I just skimmed) Robb Wolf's book, The Paleo Solution. According to Wolf, not only should we eliminate gluten and dairy from our diets, but virtually all grains, legumes, and sugars. His argument makes sense to me, but I certainly have not subscribed to the diet at this point.

As you know, I haven't been much of a meat eater in the past as I'm less than thrilled with the practices of the meat industry and the impact on the environment. Finally, my son has a peanut/tree nut allergy, so I avoid nuts for the most part too.

I know I should focus on all the good foods I can eat, and not on the things I should not, but I love cheese (do you hear the whine?) and I don't want to eat gobs of meat. I'm overwhelmed. I am eating more meat. I'm avoiding gluten. But I'm not really feeling any better overall. I guess dairy is next on the hit list. Then, we'll see. Good thing I love salads and vegetables.

Watch for a couple delicious chicken recipes coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment