Sunday, February 24, 2013

Quiche with Bacon, Cheese, & Green Onions

I felt like quiche this weekend and found a Quiche Lorraine recipe online, but really, I just used it as a guide because I wanted to use up what I had on hand, like a few slices of turkey bacon, jack cheese, and green onions. Also, I love thyme with eggs and I had some, so I added that too. I didn't have cream, so I substituted a combination of half & half and nonfat milk for the cream, using 1/2 cup less liquid than called for, and throwing in an extra egg.

The quiche turned out delicious and perfectly set, so either quiche is quite the flexible and forgiving recipe or I got darn lucky with all my substitutions.

I've often made quiche with broccoli, asparagus, or mushrooms, but there's so much moisture in the vegetables that my quiche ends up kind of watery. I'm sure there's some trick to resolve this problem, but for me, it works better to leave it out and serve some nice asparagus or a green salad on the side.

As for the crust, I didn't make it myself. I used to make my own pie crust sometimes, but since going gluten-free, I just haven't wanted to deal with it. Besides, both Whole Foods and Bavaria Mills gluten-free frozen pie crusts are great. My family can't tell the difference between those and a traditional crust. In fact, as we were eating the quiche, my husband asked me, "How is it that you are eating this crust?" He had no idea it was gluten-free!

So, here you go... I hope my recipe is lucky for you too!

Jen's Lucky Quiche  PRINTABLE RECIPE 

1 pre-made (store-bought or make your own), unbaked, 9-inch single pie crust
5 slices turkey bacon - cooked until crisp, then coarsely chopped
3/4 cup shredded Montery jack cheese
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup minced green onion
5 eggs - lightly beaten
1 cup half & half
1/2 cup non-fat milk
1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/2 tsp tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground white pepper

1. Place a baking sheet in the oven on the bottom rack to catch any egg spills or drips. Place the other rack in the center and preheat oven to 425°.
2. Sprinkle bacon, cheeses, and onion into the pie shell.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, half & half, milk, thyme, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture into pastry shell.
4. Carefully, place quiche on center rack and bake at 425° for 15 minutes.
5. Lower heat to 300° and bake for 30 to 40 minutes more, or until a knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean.
6. Let the quiche set at room temperature for 10 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment